xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 23:31:36 +0100

I'm not sure if we need a new command line option for this... shouldn't
it be good enough to set this during configure? I can't really see the
advantage of being able to change this when calling xboard (apart from
debugging perhaps).

I guess the whole thing could have been acheived by letting the desktop
files specify an xboard command using an explicitly specified -ini file,
which could be placed with other xboard data files as a system settings
file similar to xboard.conf, and could then redirect to a user settings file
suitable for the distribution (to be determined by the maintainers).
This could be made to cause persistence of options between sessions
as PGN viewer independent of other sessions. But I guess this would
still be quite complex to use.

The -viewerOptions seems the most user-friendly solution we have come up
with so far. No editing of any config files needed at all if the user wants to
change his default analysis engine now.

I already implemented it, (and it works like a charm), and put a text-edit to
set the -viewerOptions string in the Options-> Load Game dialog.

I also did the renamig of the desktop files, and rebased everything.
As far as I am concerned it can all be pushed to Savanah now.