xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 08:59:48 -0800

On 01/04/2012 01:07 AM, h.g. muller wrote:

>> But still it would be a good idea to avoid possible name conflicts by
>> starting names with "xboard-".
>
> But PGN is not an XBoard format, it is a general Chess concept. If there
> is another PGN viewer,
> we would want to obliterate its association with PGN files, right? Only
> one viewer can start when
> you click a PGN file, so possibly overwriting a competing
> pgn-viewer.desktop seems a good thing.
> Or am I missing something?

the way it works is that the desktop will register xboard as one
possibility to handle this mime-type and when the user clicks on the
file it will list all possibilities (if there is more than one) and ask
the user what she wants to do and normally offer a "do you want to do
this always from now on" option... so at that point the user can then
choose to always use xboard for example. It will also list all
applications when you right-click on a file under "open with"...

When I do that on a pdf I get evince (my default) and acrobat as well as
some other applications such as inkscape.

We also won't need to use all the xdg-* commands directly, since almost
all distributions will have macros for that during rpm-creation.

I'll see if I can get it running for the deb and rpm packages we build.

cheers
        ARUN