xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 13:35:00 +0100

Can we do 'menu groups', like with WinBoard?
Or must all menu items we supply through desktop files go directly in the 'games' menu?

With a separate menu group there would be little reason to economize on the number of items. We could easily include separate items for connecting to FICS, to ICC, perhaps to
Yasser Seirawan's new ICS, to start WinBoard in default mode, to start it with
traditional oriental board look for Xiangqi, etc.

That reminds me of another issue:

For WinBoard I also put items in the system menus for accessing documentation,
like a README file, which is a html page linking to other docs of stuff in the install, including a html-based tutorial on the use of WinBoard,with lots of screenshots. This to provide some easily accessible documentation for novice users; the official
help file / man page has too much the character of a reference manual, and does
unfortunatly little else than convince the very few that bother to read it that WinBoard
is to complex for them, and they'd better look for another GUI.

It seems a bit illogical to have the reference manual available from the WinBoard help menu, but the tutorial from the system start menu. Perhaps they should both
be in the help menu?