xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types

From: Byrial Jensen
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:26:31 +0100

Den 09-01-2012 07:24, Arun Persaud wrote:
Hi

How do we add entries to the menu, btw? Will every *.desktop file we
place in a
/usr/share/games/xxx/application folder automatically appear in the
games menu?

It is /usr/share/applications/, but I think so unless the desktop file contains "NoDisplay=true"

I'm not sure how this works exactly. But I think when creating the rpm
you call a macro that installs the desktop file in the right locations
and takes care of putting it in the games menu, so it's not part of the
configure/make/make install cycle... not sure how to install multiple
desktops file correctly though. At the moment we are calling the xdg-*
directly via make. Probably also not the right thing to do, at least we
should check for the xdg-* executable before running it... I guess on OS
X for example this might break the install at the moment... If I have
some more time this week I'll look into it a bit more.

The xdg-* programs are shell scripts, and it would be possible to include them in the xboard package.

However when packing for Linux distributions, I don't that will be necessary.

Also, there is no start menu in gnome3 anymore, is there still one in
the current KDE version? Perhaps we don't need to bother solving this
problem?

Well, if the user selected a desktop without a menu, it isn't out problem.

Rather than proliferating the number of XBoard menu items by adding all
kind
of ICS entries, would it be an idea to make a mime type for ICS login files
(now by default .icslogonrc in XBoard, I think), and associate it with
XBoard
in -ics mode?

hmm, but .icslogonrc is a hidden file, so you can't just doubleclick on
it...

To run in ics-mode you need to start xboard from a console, so there is no point in menu entries or icons for this, is there?