Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 14:57:07 +0900

Hi Arash,

> I'm contemplating the possibilities, actually.  If we agree that
> `TeX-modes' is the best way to control AUCTeX's behavior, fine with me.
> We should then document it better, `TeX-modes' is currently somewhat
> underrepresented in the manual, IMO.

Hmm, I now realized the current document is sparse about it. I wasn't
aware of that. I hope I can make some addition in a few days (or next
week?).

> At any rate, I think we should make a new ELPA release and see what
> users say about the change.

> @Tassilo: Can you please change the line:

Is there any way to notify ELPA AUCTeX users some announcement before
they attempt to upgrade? It would be preferable to recommend the ELAP
upgrade procedure as
1. Delete ELPA AUCTeX package first, and terminate the emacs session.
2. Start fresh emacs session.
3. Install ELPA AUCTeX package without doing anything else, and
   terminate that emacs session.
4. Start fresh emacs session and use AUCTeX.

The reason why I think such treatment is necessary is that the
fundamental structure of AUCTeX has changed.

Suppose that Alice updated ELPA AUCTeX in a emacs session in which she
already opened a LaTeX document. Then
a. Byte compilation of the updated .el files don't proceed as expected;
   her emacs session has already loaded tex.el, so (require 'tex) in
   the updated .el files is ineffective. Thus her emacs session uses
   old elisp macro defined in tex.el.
b. She can't open a plain TeX file in that emacs session because old
   AUCTeX redirects `plain-tex-mode' to obsolete mode name
   `TeX-plain-tex-mode'.

Next, suppose that Bob updated ELPA AUCTeX in a emacs session in which
he didn't use AUCTeX yet. Then installation will complete successfully
but he can't open (La)TeX documents in that emacs session because the
old AUCTeX redirection instructions remain. He has to restart a new
emacs session.

In other words, new AUCTeX relies on these assumptions:
[1] Installation is done with fresh emacs session.
[2] Emacs session has undergone the init procedure provided by the new
    tex-site.el.
They are usually satisfied by configure-make installation scheme, but
aren't in ELPA update scheme.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine