Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:07:12 +0200

Hi Stefan,

> FWIW, the `elpa-admin.el` code needs to do something similar and it
> asks Git a bit more directly (i.e. with the generating the diff):
>
>                (elpaa--call
>                 (current-buffer)
>                 "git" "log" "-n1" "--oneline" "--no-patch"
>                 "--pretty=format:%H"
>                 (when (elpaa--spec-get pkg-spec :merge)
>                   ;; Finding "the" revision when there's a merge involved is
>                   ;; fundamentally unreliable.
>                   ;; Ideally we should probably signal an error when the
> commit
>                   ;; we found is not on all paths from FROM to avoid making an
>                   ;; arbitrary choice.
>                   ;; For `:merge'd packages, the commit that flipped
> `Version:'
>                   ;; is usually not what we want, since that one was on the
>                   ;; upstream branch, without our own changes.
>                   ;; We use `--first-parent' for this reason, so it prefers
>                   ;; the corresponding merge commit (which is not ideal either
>                   ;; but is arguably the best we can do in that case).
>                   "--first-parent")
>                 "-L" (concat "/^;;* *\\(Package-\\)\\?Version:/,+1:"
>                              (file-name-nondirectory
>                               (elpaa--main-file pkg-spec)))
>
> The "%H" above makes it output the commit hash where `Version:` was
> changed, so you can replace that with an appropriate % thingy to get
> the date instead.

Why would I need the date of the last release?  I set AUCTEXDATE to the
committer date of HEAD, not to the date of the last release.  When the
Version is changed, then that's the correct release date, too.
Otherwise, the current HEAD's date and time are appended to the last
released version to indicate that this is a development version.

> But another option is to disregard the problem:

Perfect, exactly my style. YOLO! :-)

> presumably you trust AUCTeX's code,

Don't know.  It's mostly Keite and Arash recently... :-P

> so you don't need to run that make recipe within a sandbox to confine
> its misdeeds, and the above error will not appear on `elpa.gnu.org`.
> So, instead of (or in addition to, if you prefer) the above (debug t)
> thingy, put:
>
>     (sandbox nil)
>
> so the commands are run without Bubblewrap.

Great, works.  The build and also the package after package-install-file
with the built auctex.tar. 👍

Oh, no, one thing doesn't: the fine manuals.  I've changed it so that
they stay in doc/ and there's also the dir file referencing the auctex
and preview-latex manual.  Do they need to be top-level for elpa (in
which case I'd just add an elpa make target doing the move) or can I
somehow make that work?

Thanks,
Tassilo