Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 10:39:05 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> I think it would be great if we could make it so that everyone of us
> could trigger a new ELPA release directly from the master branch by just
> incrementing the Version header which currently resides in auctex.el

Hi Tassilo,

besides the issues we have to resolve, I think this a really good idea
which we should pursue.

>   - There's also a completely different alternative: make the
>     externals/elpa the new "main" branch and drop master and tarball
>     releases altogether.  Is there still a justification for having
>     them?

Reg. dropping master: Do you mean we use ELPA as our master repo?  I'm
not sure what that means, but many projects use an external repo and
then sync a release with ELPA by bumping the version number, IIUC.  We
can go that route as well, right?

I'm fond of dropping the official tarball release and let the distro
packagers pick up AUCTeX at their convenience.  The main reason for me
triggering a tarball is sending a signal that the project is still alive
and kicking (sort of).  But we should seek for other ways, a tarball
release is still work at our end.

>   I mean, we dropped XEmacs support anyway and it should be easy
>   enough for distros to just use the ELPA tarballs as basis for their
>   distro packages.

@Davide: What do you think about this?

Best, Arash