Re: [can't compile the main branch]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [can't compile the main branch]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:55:45 +0200

> I'm sorry, I was wrong about it. Uwe uses hg-git and the local repository
> doesn't contain .git directory. I don't remember well what hg-git does,
> but isn't there the "real" .git direcotry in the .hg directory? In other
> words, I suspect the directory structure is

> repo-dir -+- .hg ---------+- .git
>           |               |
>           +- bib-cite.el  +- FILES_FOR_MERCURIAL_REPO
>           +- ...          +- ...

> If this is correct, making symbolic link by
> ln -s .hg/.git .
> might be another mean to make gitlog-to-auctexlog work.

I tried this, error message is

make
fatal: ambiguous argument 'HEAD^!': unknown revision or path not in the working
tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:
fatal: your current branch 'master' does not have any commits yet
fatal: bad revision 'HEAD'
fatal: bad revision 'HEAD~1'
(cd doc; makeinfo -D rawfile --no-headers intro.texi --output -) >README
(cd doc; makeinfo -D rawfile --no-headers preview-readme.texi --output -) >>
README
sed -e 's|@lisppackagelispdir@|(file-name-directory load-file-name)|'\
    -e 's|@lisppackagedatadir@|(file-name-directory load-file-name)|'\
    -e 's|@lispautodir@|(if (file-writable-p "/usr/local/var/auctex")
"/usr/local/var/auctex" "~/.emacs.d/auctex")|'\
    -e 's|@AUCTEXVERSION@|.|'\
    -e 's|@AUCTEXDATE@||'\
    tex-site.el.in >tex-site.el
make: *** No rule to make target 'ChangeLog', needed by 'doc/version.texi'.
Stop.

One reason could be

 git branch -a

Gives

git branch -a
  remotes/default/core-latex-in-style-hooks
  remotes/default/feature/fix-mode-names-overlap
  remotes/default/gendocspatch
  remotes/default/main
  remotes/default/master
  remotes/default/simplify-TeX-parse-error
  remotes/default/tex-build-only

I could do
git switch main

But that looks all dangerous.
indeed

git switch main
fatal: this operation must be run in a work tree
changing things in .git could screw up hg-git

I think this path is too dangerous.

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.