Re: Cannot expand string in command on 13.0.3

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Cannot expand string in command on 13.0.3
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:16:45 +0100

Tak Kunihiro <homeros.misasa@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Kunihiro,

>  (defun sesame-TeX-jobname ()
>    "Return option `-jobname' or empty string."
>    (TeX-active-master-with-quotes nil t)
>    ;; " -jobname=LaTexMkJob"
>    "")
>
>  (defun sesame-TeX-outdir (&optional looptex-p)
>    "Return option `-outdir' or empty string."
>    (TeX-active-master-with-quotes nil t)
>    " -outdir=~/deleteme.d")
>
> Messages I expect and I got then are shown below.
>
>  expect:  Running `make' on `report' with ``latexmk -interaction=nonstopmode
> -file-line-error report.tex''
>  I got:   Running `make' on `report' with ``latexmk
> -interaction=nonstopmode%(outdir) -file-line-error report.tex''
>
> It seems that when TeX-active-master-with-quotes is called
> from TeX-command-expand, something happens.

Yes, indeed.  `TeX-active-master-with-quotes' expects that its value is
actually inserted into the expansion and thusly it increase
`TeX-expand-pos' accordingly.  Therefore, matching continues further
behind so that %(outdir) doesn't get expanded.  AFAICS, the docstring of
`TeX-active-master-with-quotes' is pretty clear about that.

In your example config, you call `TeX-active-master-with-quotes' for no
reason.  Why do you do that?

Bye,
Tassilo