Re: 2022-05-30; previews not using face color with xetex engine

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: 2022-05-30; previews not using face color with xetex engine
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 14:08:21 +0900

> Indeed. It seems that xelatex produces PDF incompatible with the
> PostScript code which preview-latex sends to Ghostscript to alter
> foreground color. Is this recent change in xelatex (or xdvipdfmx)? If my
> memory serves, the current PostScript code once worked with xelatex...
> Anyway, it seems that we need to ask on gs developers' list again to
> revise that PostScript code. :-(

I asked it, but it turned out to be impossible. According to their
explanation,
- PDF file produced by pdflatex doesn't specify the foreground color
  explicitly. preview-latex sets up the Ghostscript initialization
  to specify the default foreground color, so the text in the resultant
  png image is rendered with that color.
- However, PDF file produced by xelatex does specify black as the
  foreground color explicitly. Thus the initial default color isn't used
  at rendering the png image.

I'll add notification in preview-latex documentation that the preview
images don't follow the foreground color of emacs when xelatex is used.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine