Re: make bootstrap fails.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: make bootstrap fails.
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 16:08:25 -0600 (CST)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

   Before making big changes like this, let's check with the OP whether
   this is really the problem.  Just my two cents.

I do not know whether this is the problem in the case of the OP.  It
is definitely a fact though that if CDPATH is set and does not start
with a colon, problems can develop.

I did:

export CDPATH=~/  (admittedly stupid CDPATH, but still.)
./configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
make bootstrap

Result:

[bash2.05b.0 ~/emacscvsdir/emacs 3 11] make bootstrap
(cd src;      make  mostlyclean)
/home/teirllm/src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/teirllm/src'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `mostlyclean'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/teirllm/src'
make: *** [bootstrap-clean-before] Error 2

The question of whether a change in Makefile.in is necessary is
equivalent to the question of whether the Makefile should support
values of CDPATH not starting with a colon.  (If CDPATH starts with a
colon, there should be no problem.)

Sincerely,

Luc.