Re: next-error-last-buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: next-error-last-buffer
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:42:36 +0300

>     goto-error: C-m, C-c C-c, M-o
>
> Why do we want to define M-o as well as the other two?
> That doesn't follow any general convention, it isn't more
> convenient than C-m, and it isn't needed for compatibility.

Occur mode binds "o" to `occur-mode-goto-occurrence-other-window' and
diff mode binds "o" to `diff-goto-source'.  But since "o" should insert
the ?o character in other modes, I added "M-" key prefix.  Though,
M-o is not needed too much.

>     next-error-no-visit: M-n
>
> Let's call that forward-error-message.
>
>     previous-error-no-visit: M-p
>
> Let's call that backward-error-message.

So as I understand, a general convention would be using forward-/backward-
prefix for commands that move the point only in the current compile/grep/...
buffer, and next-/previous- for commands which are invoked in the
source buffers.  It would be good if this convention will be followed
for all function names.

>     next-error-file-no-select: M-}, M-N
>
> I'd rather avoid defining M-N and M-P as different from M-n and M-p.
> We don't need to do it; M-{ and M-} are equally easy to type.

They are not easy to type on most European keyboards, so alternative
keybindings couldn't hurt.

BTW, C-x ` is not easy to type on these keyboards too.  There could be
an alternative keybinding.

> Also, let's call these commands forward-error-source-file
> and backward-error-source-file.
>
>     next-error-file: new global command without keybindings
>     previous-error-file: new global command without keybindings
>
> What would these new commands do?

These commands would do the same what `forward-error-source-file' and
backward-error-source-file' will do in the current compilation buffer.
But `next-error-file' and `previous-error-file' will be called
from the source buffers, like `next-error' and `previous-error',
and will visit the next file instead of the next error.

Actually, instead of adding these new commands it would be better
if `next-error' interpreted a special prefix argument with the
meaning to skip to the next file.  But it seems all possible prefix
arguments of C-x ` are already used.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/