Re: next-error-last-buffer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: next-error-last-buffer
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 09:48:49 -0400

    Occur mode binds "o" to `occur-mode-goto-occurrence-other-window' and
    diff mode binds "o" to `diff-goto-source'.  But since "o" should insert
    the ?o character in other modes, I added "M-" key prefix.  Though,
    M-o is not needed too much.

I would rather not use up another binding for this.  Please leave it out.

    So as I understand, a general convention would be using forward-/backward-
    prefix for commands that move the point only in the current compile/grep/...
    buffer, and next-/previous- for commands which are invoked in the
    source buffers.

I did not go that far.  What I said is that the names
forward-/backward- are elsewhere used normally for commands that move
within the buffer.  In fact, so are the names next- and previous-.  In
this case, we are already using next- and previous- in a nonstandard
way, but that's no obstacle to using forward-/backward- in the
standard way here.

Using such names here is better than the available alternatives, so
let's use them.