Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:05:44 -0400

    Notice the overlay arrow that covered part of the file name: this is a
    bug, IMHO.  If we want to have an arrow pointing out the current line,
    we should indent the buffer text to the right as many columns as the
    arrow string takes.

It might be good to do that when overlaying the arrow on a compilation
error buffer, but it would be a misfeature to do that when overlaying
the arrow on a program file (which was the original use of the overlay
arrow).

      Perhaps we need a user option to
    control these two features (scrolling and arrow) in a way that would
    by default prevent scrolling when the arrow is used to show the
    current line.

    Also, the arrow feature is not customizable.  What about users who
    will dislike it and would wish to turn it off?

I'd probably prefer to turn off the arrow and use just the scrolling,
for compilation buffers.