Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:52:55 +1200

 > So, if the next-error-overlay-arrow-position's string doesn't affect
 > anything but compile.el, how come text terminals started to display
 > the arrow as result of a discussion about GUD and Edebug?  What am I
 > missing?

I might be losing your meaning, but the conflict was between GUD and
next-error. Juri and I changed them to use their own overlay arrow. Juri then
suggested that the default value for the property overlay-arrow-string should
be changed to "=>" which was done by Kim (2005-04-08). Previously it was nil
which meant that no arrow was displayed in a text terminal which was not by
design, but might have been your preference.

Currently simple.el has:

(put 'next-error-overlay-arrow-position 'overlay-arrow-string "=>")

but this could be removed as it is the default now anyway (I think Juri
disappeared again before 2005-04-08).

Alternatively, as suggested, it could be changed to:

(put 'next-error-overlay-arrow-position 'overlay-arrow-string "")

I don't think the condition

(unless (display-graphic-p)...

is necessary (or desirable). If there is a fringe, a bitmap is used and
overlay-arrow-string is not used. If there is no fringe, then presumably you
don't want "=>" overwriting text whether the terminal is text or graphic.

I suggest this latter change until Juri (or maybe Stefan) comes up with a
better solution that will work with "=>".

Nick