Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:15:05 -0400

    SM> I recently realized that while the 0-context sometimes makes sense for
    SM> C-x `, the "don't move" behavior would be preferable when getting
    SM> to an error by using RET or mouse-2 on the actual error text.

That is true *if* we use the overlay arrow.  However, as has just been
pointed out, using the overlay arrow in error message lists is very
annoying on text consoles.  On text consoles, I think it would be
better to move to the top, even for RET or Mouse-2, than to display
the overlay arrow.

    They were discussed as part of a thread that started as a bug report on
    emacs-pretest-bug:

    fringe arrow conflict between compile and gud?
    JUAN-LEON Lahoz Garcia
    Wed, 23 Mar 2005

Sometimes a bug fix can cause new problems that need other fixes.
And sometimes the only clean way to fix a bug requires adding a
small feature.