Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 22:55:26 -0500

>     If I understand the recent changes to server.el correctly, Emacs
>     shouldn't delete the socket on exit, because it might be a socket
>     started by another Emacs instance and not the original socket.

> Could someone explain how that can make sense?
> It seems like asking for trouble not to delete the socket.

- time 0: Emacs 1 starts its server.
- time 1: Emacs 2 starts its server, overriding Emacs 1's server.
- time 2: Emacs 1 exits: if it deletes the socket, it actually deletes
  Emacs 2's, not its own, so it'd be a bug

But more concretely, what good would it serve to delete the socket when the
server exits?

        Stefan