Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 13:25:46 -0500

    But more concretely, what good would it serve to delete the socket when the
    server exits?

If the remaining socket can confuse emacsclient, deleting it is a way to
avoid the confusion.

It is true that we can't do this when Emacs crashes.  If that means
emacsclient must be able to cope with the case of a remaining socket
for a dead server, it is not necessary for turning off the server to
delete the socket.  But it is still cleaner to do so.

    - time 0: Emacs 1 starts its server.
    - time 1: Emacs 2 starts its server, overriding Emacs 1's server.

Isn't that already a problem?
Shouldn't we prevent this from happening, somehow?
For instance, make the second server detect this and give an
error message rather than start?

    - time 2: Emacs 1 exits: if it deletes the socket, it actually deletes
      Emacs 2's, not its own, so it'd be a bug

Can Emacs 1 determine that its socket has been replaced?