Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 12:36:01 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> So it's still preferable for emacs.bash to use the `alternate-editor'
> argument.

Is it possible to launch the editor in the background using this
mechanism?

This is an important feature of the emacs.bash script: if the editor
isn't launched in the background then the shell is blocked until the
editor exits.  And on the other hand, we don't want to launch
emacsclient itself in the background because otherwise the user isn't
notified that she hasn't closed the server buffer(s) in Emacs.

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the