Re: more on anything.el inclusion

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: more on anything.el inclusion
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:43:02 -0500

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:33:19 -0500 (CDT) Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

HH> + Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
>> You might want to step back, and think about how to present this to
>> someone that has not idea what anything.el is, and what it can do.
>> (I still don't know after a few emails...)

HH> I can't help explain anything (*), but it has been compared to
HH> quicksilver on the Mac, which I do use.

It's similar to Gnome Do as well (or you can say Do is like
QuickSilver), for those who don't have a Mac.

HH> And the problem with explaining that is that it is (in some ways) so
HH> totally different from traditional computer interfaces that it's
HH> almost impossible to describe it meaningfully. You just have to see
HH> it in action. That doesn't mean you cannot and should not try, but
HH> it explains why the explanations this far fall short.

We've had interactive completion in Emacs for a while and it actually
does a lot of cool things like anything.el.  Icicles also addresses
similar needs, although I personally did not like it.  So I don't think
it's necessarily a radical interface you'd have trouble explaining to
the Emacs crowd :)

Ted