Re: more on anything.el inclusion

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: more on anything.el inclusion
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 20:14:59 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Does this happen automatically when you do x-choose-font?
>>
>> Don't know what is x-choose-font, i have not such command.
>
> Sorry, x-select-font

> BTW, anything-xfonts is not the best example, looking at fonts is not
> a very frequent action.  Can you give an example of a more frequent
> operation / mode of operation.

You can try anything-find-files that can be a replacement of C-x C-f
IF YOU WANT.
In any case, it will never replace standard C-x C-f (find-file) until
you write explicitely in your .emacs
(global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-f") 'anyting-find-files)
                                                  ^
                                                  Notice the s at end.

That the choice of the user to use the command he want.

As you will see anything-find-files will give you in addition of an
incremental search a bunch of actions on candidate:

,----
| Find File
| Find file in Dired
| Find file in Elscreen
| Complete at point
| Delete File(s)
| Find file as root
| Open file externally (C-u to choose)
| Find file other window
| Find file other frame
`----

find file in elscreen appear in menu only if elscreen is loaded.

complete at point provide file completion in any buffer in emacs
(minibuffer compris)

>>> As a user do I need to know a lot of anything-* function names, or
>>> this happens automatically when I use completion?
>>
>> AFAIK M-x provide completion on all emacs commands, why not for anything
>> commands?
>> You can use anything-M-x or anything-emacs-commands as a replacement of
>> M-x.
>
> So are you saying that instead of using M-x SOMETHING one would use
> M-x anything-SOMETHING?

Yes that is your choice, anything DONT REPLACE emacs commands unless you
do it explicitely by binding command.

> Normally users don't do M-x find-file, they to C-x C-f, so if you do C-x C-f
> do you get
> M-x anything-find-file ? (and similar for other key bindings)

No, as explained above, that's your choice, maybe one prefer using
standard C-x C-f (find-file) and not anything-find-files.

So you can install anything in emacs and continue to use emacs as you
always did.

>>> You might want to step back, and think about how to present this to
>>> someone that has not idea what anything.el is, and what it can do.
>> On the user point of view, there is nothing to understand, anything
>> provide emacs commands like any other emacs package.
>>
>> So you do M-x anything- TAB and try differents commands.
>
> As a user, if the package does not quite tell me why would I want to
> try it, I won't do it.  That's why I am asking from some simple, easy
> to understand, significant examples.
>
>>> (I still don't know after a few emails...)
>> I assume you are joking. ;-)
>
> I am not.  All I know that it's a package that does some kind of
> completion that is activated after you do (require 'anything).  But
> it's unclear what type of completion, and why would I want to use it.
> Please don't get this wrong, many people are saying it's a great
> package, but the description can use some improvement.
As Harald said, it's difficult to describe until you use it.

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/