Re: On elisp running native

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 15:23:17 -0600

Hi again Andrea,

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

>>> To work around it, I wrapped (defvar org-ql-predicates...) in
>>> eval-and-compile, and then wrapped all of the calls to org-ql--defpred
>>> in eval-and-compile as well.  Then I deleted the org-ql.eln file and
>>> recompiled it, restarted Emacs, and then everything worked fine.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing that this issue is "native" to the native-compilation and
>>> might need to be documented in some way, but I wouldn't expect it to
>>> affect many packages, only ones that do tricky things with variables and
>>> macro-expansion like this.
>>
>> This is strange.  The semantic of the native compiled code should be
>> exactly the same of the byte-compiled one.  I may look at this in the
>> weekend if I manage to.  Thanks for reporting.
>
> FYI, I pulled the new Docker image, the one that does create the
> arch-specific directories for the ELN files, then I installed org-ql
> again, without those modifications, and I didn't get that error again,
> and it seems to be working fine.  So hopefully it was either a fluke or
> something fixed by your latest changes.

Please disregard that.  I had accidentally recompiled the modified
version with the fixes I mentioned.  When I recompiled the version
without those fixes, the error returned.

So I was trying to save you the trouble of looking into an false error
report, but in the process I made a false false error report.  If this
gets any more confusing, I'll write my reports in Lisp instead.  :)

I'll continue testing with more packages native-compiled.

Thanks.