Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 18:52:17 +0000

Hi Zhu Zihao,

Zhu Zihao <address@hidden> writes:

> I try to build native-comp branch on Archlinux. It works as expected in the
> early stage of bootstrap. But when bootstrapping leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.el with
> output:
>
> ELC+ELN leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.elc
>   INFO    Extracting OKURI-NASI entries...done
>
> Emacs seems to be frozen and consuming my memories little by little. And
> almost 12G RAM was consumed by Emacs when I totally terminate the process.

I believe you had just to wait and all was working.  leim file are the
hardest for GCC to optimize but the most was already compiled.  You can
just restart from there.

> My GCC version is
> https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=gcc.git;a=commit;h=6957d3e4eef1f4243eb23ff62aea06139ef4415a
> both libgccjit and gcc was compiled using this commit.
>
> Have you exprienced this condition?

I've never measured the max memory consumption of the while bootstrap
but I usually count like 2GB for each compilation unit when optimizing.
Certanly some can be more demanding.

Anyway indeed the total memory consumption depends on the parallelism
you choose for building.  On my main dev machine I've 32GB of ram and I
routinary build speed 2 at -j16 without problems.

To have a very raw estimation of how long it takes speed 2 you can
divide 10h by the number of CPUs you dedicate to the compilation.

> Or is there any way to ignore some file in
> native-compiling? (like no-byte-compile: t file local variable)

Not for now.

Should improve a lot when I get to implement the deferred compilation.

Andrea

--
address@hidden