Re: pull requests

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: pull requests
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 10:54:30 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 22:59:35 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
> I don't remember the precise conclusions last year, but ISTR I
> concluded that any pull requests on a GNU forge must be visible _only_
> to the developers of the package.

IIRC, the most important, at least IMO, conclusion was that we should
host such services on savannah.nongnu.org, so that any code in those
pull requests is not considered to "belong to GNU".

> Can someone find that previous discussion and show its actual conclusions?
> With a single Message-ID field I could find the discussion.

It was on gnu-prog-discuss, not here.  One message-ID I have from that
discussion is address@hidden.

There was some "shadow" of that in this mailing list in last November,
try message-ID address@hidden.

>   > Question for maintainers: is it actually mandatory that all changes are
>   > submitted through patches on the ML? If we need to submit lot of
>   > patches, can we just point to an external repository on some branch?
>
> I don't feel confident I understand that concretely -- what precisely
> would be "on some branch"?
>
> Maybe it is ok to point to an external repository in an email to
> emacs-devel.  I'd want to have a discussion of that, but I tend to
> think that if done properly it is basically equivalent to emailing the
> patches themselves to emacs-devel.

That's a different proposal altogether, AFAIU.  From my POV, it makes
the lives of those who submit patches easier, but complicates the
lives of those who review patches, because pulling those changes into
our local repository for testing them is then more complex, and
requires access to Git servers about whose security we may not know
enough to feel confident.  More importantly, given that I did a review
of such a remote branch, how do I communicate my comments so that they
are recorded for posterity?  Probably by email, so that doesn't seem
to solve the main problem of avoiding email in the patch submission
and review workflow.

Btw, for an independent lookout and POV of these and related issues,
please see this recent discussion on the GCC mailing list:

  https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2020-March/000113.html