Re: pull requests

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: pull requests
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 10:37:38 -0400

On 27/03/2020 09.30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 09:00:10 -0400
>>
>> On 27/03/2020 03.54, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> More importantly, given that I did a review
>>> of such a remote branch, how do I communicate my comments so that they
>>> are recorded for posterity?  Probably by email, so that doesn't seem
>>> to solve the main problem of avoiding email in the patch submission
>>> and review workflow.
>>
>> Assuming you use the web UI, you can typically attach comments to code
>> regions.
>
> And how does one point to such past discussions, or more generally
> make sure they end up in some centralized place we could later
> revisit?

These comments survive even after the pull request is merged, so the tracker
that hosted the discussion and the code comments acts as that centralized place.

Here is a good example, from GTK, which moved to gitlab a while ago with the
rest of Gnome: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/merge_requests/1158 (gitlab
calls them "merge requests")

On that page you can see many sections that say `… started a thread on an
outdated change`.  This means that a project maintainer (or anyone, really)
commented on part of the patch, then the original patch author (or anyone able
to push to the corresponding branch) updated the code (hence the "outdated"
part — but note that the diff under discussion is still available).  The part
that says `Resolved by … 4 months ago' means that the author or the original
commenter indicated that the particular point under discussion had been
resoled, so that discussion is now hidden by default to reduce noise.

Here is another example, from nautilus:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/merge_requests/417.  In both cases
the changes have been applied to the master branch ("merged"), but the
discussion persists in the tracker.

HTH,
Clément.