Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 22:32:12 -0400

  > > 1. If the slowdown cases are truly rare, I don't think they will bother
  > > users very often.

  > A frequent case is that the use case is rare on the average, but for
  > some user(s) it is not so rare.

Yes.  I don't think we can attain perfection, so I'm suggesting a guideline
so we can do better overall without too much extra work.

  > I think we do try: patch review frequently has these aspects
  > discussed.  But it is a well known fact that humans are lousy
  > predictors of code speed.

I'm not suggesting we try to _predict_ the effect on code speed,
rather than we have a guideline to identify the cases where _if_
the code gets slower it would be hard for a user to escape that.

What we would do, in those cases, is add a switch to turn off
the changes.

--
Dr Richard Stallman