Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 17:07:48 -0700

On 4/4/20 1:55 AM, martin rudalics wrote:
 >  > The basic slowness of Emacs over the past years is a direct consequence
 >  > of that policy.
 >
> How many users is that true for? When Emacs is slow for me, it's usually because of very long lines. Is that the same issue, or a different one?

As mentioned in my answer to Stefan the most recent issue I noticed is
that mouse-wheel scrolling buffers for xdisp.c and dispextern.h consumes
100% of my CPU and still takes some ten seconds to complete.

I looked into this, and although it's no doubt fundamentally due to a slow algorithm, the slowness is exacerbated if you use -Og (which you appear to be using). Stefan's recent message hinted at this. I installed the attached into master to try to fix the -Og issue; please give it a try.

The slow algorithm should be fixed too, but I'm no expert there.

> Is that the Black Edition 5000+ or the regular one? The Black Edition was quite the thing in 2007. :-)

How would I find out?

Your BIOS right after cycling power, I expect. It's not high priority to find out. As I vaguely recall the main advantage of the Black Edition is that you could overclock, and if you had a Black Edition my next suggestion was going to be a joke that you should overclock your ancient and slow CPU to make your Emacs faster....