Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 07:14:19 +0000

To my knowledge, if we want to come close to what those other editors show, our current best bet is icomplete-vertical (or something similar to it) PLUS a packages that moves the minibuffer to either the center or the top of the frame (or makes it seem live the minibuffer has been moved, of course).

FWIW, I don't think this is necessary. We should not aim at creating a (visual) clone of some other editor. Icomplete with a vertical candidates list is IMO intuitive enough for new users to adapt to it. Emacs' commands are entered at the bottom of the frame, contrary to what some / most other editors do, and AFAICS this is fine.