Re: resize_mini_window question

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: resize_mini_window question
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 18:50:57 +0200

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:02:13PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Yes I know.  The problem with this was that in my case the user could be
expecting to see as many lines as specified in max-mini-window-height as
an integer.

I think that is simply a problem of wrong expectations, which we could
somewhat fix by tweaking the documentation like you suggested.

Maybe:

  DEFVAR_LISP ("max-mini-window-height", Vmax_mini_window_height,
    doc: /* Maximum height for resizing mini-windows (the minibuffer and the
echo area).
If a float, it specifies a fraction of the mini-window frame's height.
If an integer, it specifies a number of lines with the frame's default char
height.  */);
  Vmax_mini_window_height = make_float (0.25);

The external package used to force an enlarge-window but I feel that
this is somehow a workaround.

Indeed.  I think it's important to find a solution to the
"disappearing prompt" that doesn't involve this since enlarging the
window is not always an option either.

I already solved it in icomplete then. If we assume that the problem is
the wrong expectations then the solution is trivial with the current
changes in icomplete.

Best,
Ergus