RE: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 19:12:09 +0000

> > It is to bind C-= to the existing "repeat" command,
>
> FWIW, I agree that `repeat` deserves a single-key bindings.
> But I don't think `C-=` can be it, and I don't have a counter-offer.

I'm probably going to be an outlier on this,
as well.

1. Why is it important to save one keystroke,
just to initiate repetition?

What's important is to be able to repeat
using a simple, single keystroke.  But to
initiate repetition it's not important to
use a single keystroke (IMO).

I don't like to see keys get appropriated
by Emacs as defaults.  I think that `C-x z'
is a fine way to initiate repetition.  I
don't want to see any new key, `C-=' or
another, "wasted" this way.

2. That said, for _specific commands_,
which are already bound to keys, I think
it's very helpful for some such commands
to themselves be repeatable.

That's different from a general key to
repeat the last command (now `C-x z').

A priori therefore, my vote is for:

1. Keeping the general repeat-last-whatever
   on a prefix key.  IOW, stick with `C-x z'
   or similar.

2. Make more single-use commands, themselves,
   repeatable.  That is, commands that are
   already bound by default.

   I gave, as one example, repeatable `C-a'
   and `C-e'.

Doing that wastes/dedicates no additional
keys by default.