Re: Minimal recommended version of gcc/libgccjit for native-comp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Minimal recommended version of gcc/libgccjit for native-comp
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 19:54:50 +0300

> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, wilde@sha-bang.de,
>         emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 16:32:07 +0000
>
> >> So incompatibilities with libgccjit tend to result in annoying errors
> >> rather than catastrophic crashes.
> >
> > I've seen both, actually.
>
> I think Stefan referred to the fact that because we always run
> compilations in a subprocesses once bootstrap is done even if libgccjit
> crashe the main Emacs will just report some error.  IOW it *should* not
> be dangerous.

As you remember, we've seen crashes in the native code, until we
disabled one of the passes in libgccjit.  So it isn't unthinkable that
some similar problem which we didn't yet see exists, especially in
earlier versions of libgccjit.

Btw, I'm somewhat disappointed by the (lack of) responsiveness from
libgccjit developers: a bug I reported to Bugzilla a week ago (and
which was actually known to them for a month before that, from our
correspondence) didn't get even a single response yet.