Re: Minimal recommended version of gcc/libgccjit for native-comp

From: wilde
Subject: Re: Minimal recommended version of gcc/libgccjit for native-comp
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 16:21:07 +0200

Hi Andrea,

Andrea Corallo via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> wilde@sha-bang.de writes:
>> As there are many distribution and systems out there supported by GNU
>> Emacs which provide wide variety of gcc versions I wonder which versions
>> are considered sufficient for the new native compilation feature.
>
> AFAIR we don't depend on any specific entry point that was added in
> recent times into libgccjit, so in theory I *think* 6 should work.  That
> said old libgccjit (read < 8) AFAIK have not been tested much if any
> with Emacs.  You can maybe have a go an report :)

Thanks for your reply, also thanks to Stefan and Eli for the
assessments.  We are giving it a try (actually a colleague at work will
be the primary tester).  The build (with NATIVE_FULL_AOT) and first
tests (e.g. using gnus) worked smoothly so far.

I'll report any serious problems.  In the hope I don't forget to do so
I'll also report any positive experience after a few weeks of use...  :)

cheers
sascha