Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 21:20:04 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> If the user visits a Lisp file and clicks the Emacs Lisp->Byte Compile
> item on the menu bar, we do pop up the compilation log buffer with the
> warnings and errors, right?

That is an explicit action, so I don't think it applies here.

> And if the user installs or upgrades a package from ELPA, and the
> package is byte-compiled, the messages from that are shown, right?

That is quite similar to the native-comp situation, yes.

> So it sounds like we already show these messages to users, and this is
> just another such situation.  Once we decided to have JIT native
> compilation (and IMO it wouldn't make sense to decide differently), we
> should also agree to this side effect of compiling code in the
> background.

The problem is that the JIT can happen at any point, without the user
having done anything explicitly.  Anything that's autoloaded and fetched
when looking at *Help*, for instance, might trigger JIT and pop up
warnings to the user -- warnings that are 100% irrelevant for that user.