Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 03:48:27 +0300

On 18.12.2021 01:01, Ken Brown wrote:

Native compilation is disabled by default.  People who build emacs for their own use and choose to try native compilation can see the consequences and make their own decision on how to deal with them.

I agree that as long as we don't intend for it to be on by default, the warnings are fine to show.

Similar remarks apply to people who build emacs as maintainers for a distro.  If they choose to build with native compilation and impose that decision on their users, they can also choose for their users the default value of native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors.

This, however, seems like a bad idea.

The distros don't control, nor are responsible for, the whole third-party package ecosystem.