Re: Contradictiory directions

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Contradictiory directions
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 09:30:19 +0100

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 09:45:43AM -0800, Stephen Leake wrote:

[...]

> No one can be completely neutral; we always bring our personal history
> with us [...]

I tend to put it (with a bit of tongue-in-cheek) like so: saying "I'm
neutral" is just a short way of saying "I currently can't see my bias".

Having some grounding there, I think the most important point in science
is a long and skillful fight to "see" one's biases and take them into
account. Read on "personal equation" [1]. Take it as a metaphor or as a
case study. Or as a reminder that humility is essential in growing one's
knowledge. Or just as a fetching story on some important steps in
science. For me, it's "all of the above", but I might be biased :)

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_equation

--
tomás