Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 7

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 72
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 05:16:18 -0500

   Before responding, I tried to measure the impact of this change by
   running:

     (mapatoms (lambda (atom)
               (when (functionp atom)
                 (and (documentation atom)
                      (insert (documentation atom) "\n")))))

   in a buffer, with the fill column set to 72, and typing C-x h M-q.  Upon
   restoring the fill column to 64 and enabling the fill column indicator,
   the number of lines and words beyond it increased visibly.  So this is
   not so insignificant a detail.

That is I think not a good comparison, nobody is suggesting to re-fill
all docstrings to 72 (or even 64!) columns.  Many docstrings are
manually filled, so refilling everything would be far worse than
raising the fill-column to 72 (though, I think maybe setting it to
just fill-column might make more sense ... but whatever).

So this seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill, the current
fill-column makes docstrings in general "cramped" to read -- even on
80x25 terminals.  And seeing that there is no consitency in how
docstrings are filled, the minor raise in the limit is negligible --
you would only re-fill after modifying a docstring in some manner, and
in that case the text will get jumbled anyway.