Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 7

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 72
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:56:48 -0500

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Whether that is true or not, raising the limit by 8 characters creates
> very little improvement in all of these respects.  Even the worst of
> modern displays can guarantee Emacs 80 columns of space, so it is not a
> convincing compromise, and cannot be described except as an arbitrary
> choice.

While 80 or even 90 characters is perfectly fine for code, where most
lines are much shorter in practice, the story is not necessarily the
same for prose.

All studies that I've seen have been unequivocal about the fact that too
long lines hurt readability.  You will find this noted also in pretty
much any typographical handbook you care to pick up.  The advice given
in the study I quoted was to use 55-75 characters, and 72 characters is
within that range.

BTW, your math is off: the old default was 65, and not 64.