guix-devel

Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 02:52:52 -0400

On Sun, Sep 02, 2018 at 01:33:40AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
> > 1 There is still some data transmitted when starting the browser for the
> >   first time.  It seems related to the "domain_reliability" component.
> > 3 Opening settings transmits a bunch of data, the next version will
> >   include the 'disable-translation-lang-fetch' patch from Inox.
>
> Guix _is_ committed to the GNU FSDG, right?

That's my assumption (I know you didn't ask me directly).

> Do you agree that #1 and #3 look like spyware?  If so, wouldn't that
> make them blockers?

Maybe they are spyware, maybe they are not. I think there are legitimate
reasons for a program to be "chatty". It depends on the user's
expectations, what data is sent, and who it is sent to. We should keep
looking into issues #1 and #3.

Also, I think the Chromium package is being held to a very high standard
compared to other packages, which is good, since web browsers are so
important now.