guix-devel

Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 23:44:29 +0200

Hi,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> I admit that it's unclear whether or not those data transmissions could
> reasonably be called 'spyware', but at the very least their existence
> provides cover for spyware added later, by conditioning users to accept
> data transmission to Google when it hasn't been requested (by either the
> user or the website being visited).

Speaking of spyware, someone shared these links recently on IRC, which I
found insightful:

  https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/icecat.html
  https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/firefox.html
  https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/chrome.html

For instance, Firefox’ portal detection mechanism (which I find handy)
raises privacy issues, even if that’s not intended.  (I suppose we could
replace it with example.org and it would work just as well.)

Ludo’.