guix-devel

Re: Update MATE to 1.24

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: Re: Update MATE to 1.24
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 22:32:57 +0100

On 25.03.20 18:09, Marius Bakke wrote:
> There is an easy workaround for this problem though: installing
> glib:bin.  We could propagate it for now, or simply add it to
> %base-packages.

I added glib:bin to my config.scm and MATE can start applications again.
Propagating to %base-packages seems like a good quick-fix until
core-updates merges. It can also help XFCE, which might also suffer from
this problem.

>> * atril requires a newer glib/gio (also in core-updates).
>
> Is it just Atril that needs the newer GLib?  We could give Atril its own
> version of GLib without having to update the "main" one.

Atril is the only one requiring a newer Glib. I would just leave atril
on 1.22 and update it later. It's only a leaf package and 1.22 is fine
enough, I think.

>> I have two branches:
>> https://gitlab.com/jonsger/Guix/-/tree/wip-mate-1.24 based on master
>> https://gitlab.com/jonsger/Guix/-/tree/wip-mate-1.24-co based on
>> core-updates
>
> Great!  Would you like to apply for a Savannah account so users don't
> have to pull from a third party to test it?  I'm happy to vouch for you.

So only two members vouching for me left :P

Other findings
==============
* You can't shutdown or reboot. There is now button in MATE nor in GDM
after logging out.
* If you install a program or add it to your config.scm it only appears
in the App menu after the next reboot.
* pluma: installing external plugins fails with: "plugin loader python3
not found". Can be maybe fixed with propagating python. Plugins who are
installed by default do work.
* atril: Logo in about page is not an SVG.
* mate-control-center: `Preferred Applications` does not start/work.
`Time and Date Manager` does not work as well (dbus error).

I would only call the first issue major. But that's maybe due to testing
in a VM. I don't know.

~Jonathan