guix-devel

Re: kmscon not working on MacBook

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: kmscon not working on MacBook
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 00:00:18 +0100

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 09:48:50AM +0100, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> I would
> like something similar to be included in the next release.  Maybe
> kmscon works everywhere then.

Of course the machines that need uvesafb to show the installer also
later have problems showing Xorg.  Maybe until Xorg on installed
systems without Kernel Mode Setting works fine without manually
fiddling with uvesafb or nonfree drivers, there is no use making the
installer work.

Perhaps uvesafb could somehow be made to work automatically, however
on one of my computers uvesafb can only be used after „chmmod o+rw
/dev/fb0“ which is a security issue, I suppose.

> ('nomodeset' is not needed; I leave it
> in only for testing on computers where the graphical installer works
> anyway when not passing 'nomodeset'.)

In fact nomodeset was needed on a friend’s AMD GPU system.  Probably
one could blacklist yet another AMD graphics module instead of passing
nomodeset.  But then the installer on AMD systems where the module is
working fine would be limited to uvesafb.

Regards,
Florian