guix-devel

Re: kmscon not working on MacBook

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: kmscon not working on MacBook
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 09:48:50 +0100

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 08:14:37AM +0100, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> I could get the installer to display properly by using […]the useful v86d
> helper[…]
>
> guix package -f v86d.scm
> ln -s /gnu/store/yj9mxi0yr4ksg5v7031mdrc8fvb2wxrb-linux-libre-5.4.24/lib/ /lib
> modprobe uvesafb v86d=/root/.guix-profile/sbin/v86d
>
> Without the symbolic linking, kmscon displays a flickering Module
> uvesafb not found in directory /lib/modules…
>
> I will try to properly package v86d now (without bundled libraries).
> uvesafb does not work on my Macbook though; I believe it conflicts
> with modesetting.

Now that v86d is pushed as e2303e8e375ed2e07c1fd760c86a204eb51fbc6e
(see <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2020-03/msg00681.html>):

The attached patch makes the graphical installer work on two old
computers I tested.  I do not know how to proceed with it.  I would
like something similar to be included in the next release.  Maybe
kmscon works everywhere then.  ('nomodeset' is not needed; I leave it
in only for testing on computers where the graphical installer works
anyway when not passing 'nomodeset'.)  The patch should not change
behavior on machines where /dev/fb0 is created via modesetting anyway.

Regards,
Florian