guix-devel

Re: Hi, I was able to do basic build and install of XChat IRC Client

From: R Veera Kumar
Subject: Re: Hi, I was able to do basic build and install of XChat IRC Client
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 20:22:56 +0530

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 10:09:27PM -0500, LaFreniere, Joseph wrote:

> Veera <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have successfully done a basic build and install of XChat IRC Client.
>
> From what I can tell [0], the latest commit to XChat was in 2011. Is this
> the software you packaged, or did you perhaps intend to refer to HexChat
> [1], a maintained fork?
>
> > I had chat about this in #Guix IRC. brendyyn, drakonis, lfam.
> >
> > They objected with XChat inclusion in Guix.
> > …
> > Please can you tell me what to do?
>
> Did the participants in #Guix who objected to including XChat in Guix
> provide any reasons for their objections?  Understanding what specifically
> they disliked about your recipe or the upstream software might provide some
> guidance for next steps.

Please see the patch I posted to address@hidden for
XChat bug no: 40208 which Gabor Boskovits told me to do.
So that it gets WONTFIX status.

They objected for it being old and unmaintained and has bugs in them.
The hexchat developer objected for it's inclusion in Debian and wanted
it to be removed. He said found new bugs in hexchat or irc in general
which were probably not fixed in this unmaintained software. Though he
did not listed them in xchat. While the current Debian maintainer is
affirmative of still including it saying the bugs which gets found are
fixed and no need to remove it from Debian. Sorry I do not have the
links for those pages as I was using built xchat and it's log got lost.
drakonis gave the links. Hexchat developer in reddit post. Perhaps
XChat and HexChat: When distributions get it wrong.
Debian Bug Reports: 891982 and 892085

R Veera Kumar
[Outreachy Contrib]