guix-devel

Re: Use genimage for disk-image creation.

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: Use genimage for disk-image creation.
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 16:01:51 +0100

> I’m completely sold to the idea.  :-)

Yep, LGTM too

> Apparently ‘genimage’ supports many file systems, including ext[234] and
> ISO9660, which are the two formats we support via ‘--file-system-type’.
> It does not support Btrfs, but ‘guix system disk-image’ doesn’t support
> it either so far.
>
> Likewise, for ISO, it just shells out to ‘genisoimage’.

You probably meant "mkisoimage" ?

> So I think that we could avoid ‘genimage’ altogether and implement
> similar functionality for ext4/ISO in (gnu build disk-image).

Do you anticipate less or similar work in reimplementing rather than
reusing ? Genuinely asking, because we may want to support other
image formats in the future, so reusing may have its interest too...

Or is there another reason that I'm not seing, like maybe avoiding some
overhead (probably not the fork/execs going through genisoimage though)...

--
Vincent Legoll