guix-devel

Re: Dropping gzip-compressed substitutes

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Dropping gzip-compressed substitutes
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 21:02:32 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> 1.  Promptly set up both a blog post and a NEWS entry announcing the
> support for gzip substitutes is about to be phased out from the build
> farm (1 month notice), urging users to upgrade their daemon to a version
>>= 1.1.0.

Can we make the “guix” command print a warning if the daemon it talks to
only supports gzip substitutes?  I know many users who don’t read our
blog posts and who ignore the news output, but who are very keen on
getting rid of warnings that the “guix” command itself prints while they
want to do other things.

We could probably reach these people with a nagging warning that is
about as annoying as the infamous locales warning :)

--
Ricardo