guix-devel

Re: Dropping gzip-compressed substitutes

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: Dropping gzip-compressed substitutes
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 20:04:51 +0000

>     building. If we want to keep nars long enough so that ‘time-machine’ is
>     usable, then storage requirements will keep growing.
>
>     Perhaps that means we can regularly copy nars “elsewhere” for long-term
>     storage, using nar-herder, rsync, or whatever. The machine that stores
>     nars long-term has low requirements compared to the build farm because
>     we don’t need to trust it for anything other than storage. If that
>     makes things easier (and financially viable), a VPS is good enough.

if the ERIS project proceeds with a reasonable pace (and the Swarm backend,
too), then it would be a perfect opportunity to start stress testing the various
distributed storage backends.

unfortunately, for now Swarm only works through my custom channel that downloads
the release binaries, but that can be fixed, too.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39