guix-devel

Re: (Re-) Designing extractong-downaloder

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: (Re-) Designing extractong-downaloder
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 09:50:05 +0100

Am 23.02.22 um 11:52 schrieb pukkamustard:
Why use the source from hex.pm at all?

While issue 51061 is about the hex.pm importer and the rebar build system, this thread in only about the extracting downloader :-)

The hex.pm metadata.config file does not seem to exactly specify the
upstream source. We would need some heuristics to figure this out. But
maybe we could find a heuristic that works well enough? This would solve
the double-archive problem.

FMPOV, hex.pm is one important valid distribution point for erlang and elixir packages. Like PypPi is for Python and CPAN is for Perl. So we should support defining this as a packages source, which can also be used for checking for updates much easier than any git repository or git-based forge.

Some of the packages I've investigated so far are easier to build from hex.pm than from github. E.g. some github repos contain a „rebar“ binary (which needs to be deleted by a snippet when defining the source), while the corresponding hex.pm package can be used as-is.

Regarding heuristics: Since build should be reproducible, a source definition must not use any heuristics. Anyhow this might be useful for the hex.pm importer.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |