guix-devel

Re: (Re-) Designing extractong-downaloder

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: (Re-) Designing extractong-downaloder
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 09:56:32 +0100

Am 23.02.22 um 13:35 schrieb Maxime Devos:
Nevermind, this benefit is probably undone by the extra unpacking.

Probably.

Anyway, this is worth thinking of, as it would make the additional unpacking part of the source. And thus unpacking would be decoupled from the build-system. (Which was part of the idea behind the proposal.)

After considering this for some time, I actually like your idea: it is explicit (which is better than implicit), flexible and simple (no extracting downloader required at all). And it also does not lead to any problems with content-addressed downloads like SWH. The only downside I can see at the moment is that is stores both the outer and the inner archive.

Let's see what others think about it.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel