guix-devel

Re: IDEA: Give Our Generations a Name

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: IDEA: Give Our Generations a Name
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 09:39:08 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 16 Jan 2023 at 23:40, "jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:

> What do you think if we would be able to give past generations a name?

Well, I think this would be difficult.  And personally I do not have the
use case.

However, be able to locally Git tag and use this tag with “guix
time-machine” will be very handy. :-)  Well, it is already possible but
a bit convoluted.  It could be nice to do:

    guix git tag foobar <commit>
    guix time-machine --commit=foobar -- bla

It was one of the idea behind [1] but the code never landed master…
because I have been lazy. ;-)

1:
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/add-a-subcommand-showing-gnu-guix-history-of-all-packages/>

Cheers,