guix-devel

Re: Struggling to write Dissecting Guix, Part 2

From: david larsson
Subject: Re: Struggling to write Dissecting Guix, Part 2
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 20:39:53 +0100

On 2023-01-25 08:12, ( wrote:
Hello Guix,

I've been struggling to write Part 2 of Dissecting Guix; I'm just not
sure where to start to
explain monads.

It's hard for a variety of reasons, those being that:

- Guile has no type system, so you can't express monads in terms of types
  - Guix doesn't implement very many monads (only state, identity, and
store), so it's
difficult to explain with a simpler monad, as there are no simpler monads
  - Guix doesn't have functors or monoids either, so it's hard to
"progressively" explain
    first functors, then monoids, then monads
  - Monads are just difficult in general :P

Any suggestions? :/

    -- (

Hi,
Im not an expert on monads by any means, but...

There's a monad tutorial fallacy to avoid: https://byorgey.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/abstraction-intuition-and-the-monad-tutorial-fallacy/ written by someone Brent: "Associate Professor of Computer Science at Hendrix College. Functional programmer, mathematician, teacher, pianist, follower of Jesus."

And, personally, I liked this tutorial: https://towardsdatascience.com/monads-from-the-lens-of-imperative-programmer-af1ab8c8790c

Maybe it helps, maybe not.

Best regards,
David